In 1893, George Cadbury bought 120 acres (49 ha) of land close to the works and planned, at his own expense, a model village which would 'alleviate the evils of modern more cramped living conditions'.
More than 2,000 of Cadbury's male employees joined the British Armed Forces, and to support the British war effort, Cadbury provided chocolate, books and clothing to the troops. It was operated by Cadbury between 19 to process locally collected milk and produce "chocolate crumb" which was transported to Cadbury's in Bournville. Cadbury soon expanded its product range with Flake (1920), Creme eggs (1923), Fruit and Nut (1928), and Crunchie (1929) (originally under the Fry's label).
By 1930 Cadbury had become the 24th-largest British manufacturing company as measured by estimated market value of capital.
During World War II, parts of the Bournville factory were turned over to war work, producing milling machines and seats for fighter aircraft. As chocolate was regarded as an essential food, it was placed under government supervision for the entire war.
The wartime rationing of chocolate ended in 1950, and normal production resumed.
Cadbury is internationally headquartered in Uxbridge, West London, and operates in more than 50 countries worldwide.